For all you mycologists out there…..
….I have a question: what’s this, please??
I believe it’s either a Parasol/Shaggy Parasol or a Prince; but I’m not certain. I’d love to cook it & see – however, I’d (obviously!) prefer to be absolutely certain it’s not poisonous before I give it a go. A basic description is as follows:
CAP: 16cm across, cream-coloured & concave, with brown fibrous scales.
STEM: 8cm in length by 3cm width (full girth via tape measure 10cm). Club-shaped, white & smooth.
RING: ¾ of way down stem, firm, fairly large, white, smooth on underside.
GILLS: Free of the stem, white.
FLESH: White, slight bitter almond/classic mushroom scent. Colour changes gradually to pink-brown when bruised.
SPORES: Not seen.
HABITAT: Found in the haybarn, growing up against a wooden pallet.
FREQUENCY: Single mushroom only.
SEASON: Late autumn (November).
I’m hoping it’s a rare Prince mushroom, as I gather they’re absolutely delicious. However, I don’t want to take any chances – & certainly don’t fancy an impromptu tour of the new Accident & Emergency department of the local hospital, as a result of my meal….especially as it doesn’t quite seem to accurately fit that ‘fun guy’ John Wright’s descriptions of either species.
Anyway – grateful for any advice – preferably sooner rather than later, so if it IS edible I can make the most of it!