More Milky Mayhem

The dry, staccato cackle of a magpie on the old barn roof, roused me from my reverie.

I’d woken with a start: it was daylight, & it shouldn’t be.  To my horror, I discovered that whilst I’d reset the time of the alarm the previous evening I hadn’t actually switched it on – what an eejit.  And already tired, I hadn’t woken as early as usual.  So I hastily made Tony a cup of coffee, glugged down my own mug of tea & jog-trotted down to the yard to start work.  Tony joined me in grumpy mood, never one for mornings; & in particular, never ever one who relishes early starts. 

Having noticed that a couple of the kids still weren’t glugging down milk with the same gusto as their chums yesterday lunchtime – in fact they were quite behind in terms of quantity consumed – I’d brought them into the house, where they share a roomy crate in the lounge with little Bechan, who’d got ‘too big for her boots’ in the bedroom & was causing all sorts of chaos – although her habit at hiding behind the curtains & ambushing us at every opportunity just like a cheeky child, was admittedly endearing.  But chewing the books in the bookcase, the contents of the bin & even the wallpaper, wasn’t; plus she kept escaping from her makeshift playpen at the end of the room, & getting stuck underneath the bed.  So it was time for a change…

By morning I’d noticed that one of the quarantined kids had definitely got a snotty nose; so with the age they are, rather than take any chances I took him to visit the vet where he elicited all sorts of admiring comments from other people in the waiting room.  And apart from a bit of a shriek & a wriggle when he was given a shot of an antibiotic I knew we didn’t have at home, he behaved impeccably. 

On the way back to the Ffarm I bought more tiny kid collars from the local pet shop & then returned to find Tony feeding the kids; but still in a bad mood unfortunately.  I cooked some lunch, which we ate in near silence: then it was back onto the yard for more work, to take advantage of the pleasant afternoon & (so far) the lack of snow.  

During the afternoon we had a visit from an old work colleague & her husband; we’d shared an office at RAF Innsworth a couple of years ago, & it had been Sheila who’d introduced me to Carl (Boo’s husband) when she’d switched jobs & moved upstairs.  Since then of course, we’ve all been firm friends; & now Sheila & husband Ray were staying at Maes-Y-Derw, Carl & Boo’s magnificent 5* B&B – what a small world.  It was lovely to see them again, & to catch up on all the news. 

It seems so strange to think that RAF Innsworth has now closed; when I first arrived it had been such a busy, bustling place & my heart ached to see it gradually turn into a ghost town – another of the factors which led me to decide it was time that I, too, moved on; I’d been party to far too many unit closures by then, & it certainly didn’t appear to be about to get any better.  And I know many others who feel the same; & like me, don’t regret the decision.

By evening milking, there was a change in attitude in the parlour: gone (for the most part anyway) were the hesitant, faltering steps of the goats up onto the milkstands, replaced by the other extreme; perhaps almost more dangerous – as the herd of hungry goats had worked out that milking = fooooood, lots of lovely food, & they wanted it, NOW.  So from the moment I appeared in the parlour they were barging impatiently at the gate & whilst I’d thought this would be a suitable time to go ‘solo’ (as Tony was back at work the following morning) it turned out not to be; as I required his urgent intervention to stem the tide of hightly excited caprines attempting to flood the parlour, knocking equipment flying & bashing into the milking machine, in danger of disturbing the highly sensitive pulsator pressure settings – not good.  At last order was restored; & decorum reigned once more as the goats finally settled back into their new routine.  I’m all for an enthusastic workforce – but getting killed in the rush for the office staff to get to their ‘desks’, isn’t exactly part of the plan. 

Time to go & count some more bruises… could have a high old time using my poor, battered bod to play ‘join the dots’ by now.


About LittleFfarm Dairy

The LittleFfarm Dairy Team: Jo - Goat farmer & Gelatiere Artigianale, plus General Dogsbody; Tony - Airline Pilot & part-time Herd Manager, Product Taster, Accounts Secretary, Handyman etc!
This entry was posted in Animals, Anything Goes, Diary, Goats, Life, Livestock, Local Area, March 2008, Military, Smallholding. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s