‘Rake-ee’ Therapy

I endured a restless, sleepless night;

 & indeed spent the majority of it up & working, to keep myself occupied.  Dawn’s cold grey light revealed no sign of Tony’s return so I commenced the chores & contacted Boo to explain I would be unable to attend my weekly Welsh lesson; as waiting for Tony, & sorting out our rift  – greater even than the gashes distorting our driveway – was a blatantly higher priority. 

Tony eventually returned at about 10.15am, evidently expecting me to have disappeared off to my lesson.  On finding he was mistaken he immediately grabbed some tools & headed back up the drive with the excuse that he needed to unblock the drain which had caused the damage & which I’d been insisting for weeks, needed to be cleared before the winter rains came.

He initially refused to speak to me; neither of us could clearly pinpoint exactly what had ignited his mood.  Indeed until the drain had been cleared he simply would not discuss the matter; however when he returned to the house he admitted he’d not expected me to be at home & had hoped to unobtrusively collect his uniform & go back to work at Heathrow, switching off his mobile ‘phone to give us both a couple of days to get over the unpleasant atmosphere (& for him to admittedly work through his sulk – he almost has a PhD when it comes to moodiness!).

Thankfully our discussion led to a dispersal of the tension & we forgave each other for whatever it was which had caused it, in the first place.  He then hurried off to Heathrow in preparation for his first couple of days’ short-haul work; dropping me off at the top of the drive with an armful of tools so that I could commence the much-needed trenching repairs. 

I spent the bracing afternoon doing a passable one-woman chain gang impression, working off my frustrations with much energetic wielding of spade & rake.  My efforts paid off & I successfully completed an initial, basic repair; by the time I’d finished all the channels were refilled with gravel which had been washed down the hill & which I painstakingly restored, spade by spade, back into the trenches which I then raked over until the surface of the drive was smooth & even again. 

I walked across the fields to check the sheep & horses, returning to the Ffarm just before sunset to restore the section of driveway above the Arrivals Yard & then swiftly complete the evening chores.  Thankful that the little ffarm’s atmosphere had returned to its tranquil equilibrium at last, I closed the door against the chill of evening with an exhausted sigh – tonight, at last, we could rest easy. 


About LittleFfarm Dairy

The LittleFfarm Dairy Team: Jo - Goat farmer & Gelatiere Artigianale, plus General Dogsbody; Tony - Airline Pilot & part-time Herd Manager, Product Taster, Accounts Secretary, Handyman etc!
This entry was posted in Diary, Life, November 2007, Smallholding. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s