The morning dawned, refreshingly sunny if a little cool;

so I took Nanuk out for a brisk walk up in the top pasture, the glorious green-&-gold of the wooded valley dappled with the pattern cast by cloud shadows as the dew danced with sparkling light.  It only took me about 30 minutes to get the unfailingly effervescent dog out of the house after which she settled well & concentrated on walking to heel until we reached the field.  After doing a little more heelwork, & after her excitement at the wide open space had died down, I let her off the lead for her characteristically ballistic run, pausing to have a chat with Ieuan who had arrived in the neighbouring field to turn the hay.  However, the heavy dew combined with an approaching bank of ominous cloud which was darkening the coastline & floating relentlessly in our general direction, would have made this task a fruitless one; so he conceded defeat & headed home for some breakfast.  I retrieved Nanuk from the hedge with some difficulty, where she had just started to commence a vigorous assault on a badger track – I must find a way to stop her from digging all the time – & trudged back down the hill towards home.

Back at the farmyard, I’d expected to find that Tony would have almost finished the milking, as I’d left him (or so I’d assumed) up & about; but to my horror, he was still tucked up in bed!  I turfed him out crossly, & did all the other chores while he got to grips with the girls. 

In the afternoon, after finally sorting out costings for disposal of waste water from the dairy, we went to Carmarthen to get a kennel for Nanuk so she can stay outside whilst I’m on the yard to keep her attention stimulated a bit more.  At least a kennel will (eventually) help protect her from the elements; although by the time we returned home, there was no opportunity for Tony to erect it as we went straight into the evening milking routine.  Meanwhile Nanuk was unusually quiet; to my suprise I found that Silli had jumped onto the sofa & the two of them were stretched out asleep, relaxed in each others’ company for a change. 

Alas; the peace was not to last – as when I began my preparations for bedtime, Nanuk resumed her piercing whine….ah well, nice to have a quiet night – or not, as the case may be….!

About LittleFfarm Dairy

The LittleFfarm Dairy Team: Jo - Goat farmer & Gelatiere Artigianale, plus General Dogsbody; Tony - Airline Pilot & part-time Herd Manager, Product Taster, Accounts Secretary, Handyman etc!
This entry was posted in August 2007, Diary. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Doghouse

  1. jameswillisisthebest says:

    This is my first post
    just saying HI

  2. LittleFfarm Dairy says:

    Hi James –

    good to have you on board.
    What caught your eye about our Blog, & what do you think of it?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s